Fire Started in an Apartment in Italy After American Students Cooked Pasta Without Water


Image Source: Unsplash

They missed the other ingredient necessary to both cook pasta and extinguish fire: water.

Cooking with pasta is endless. There are different sauces as well as, different kinds of pasta to choose from. It’s a popular staple food for any occasion. Whether it’s a house party or part of your weekly meal preparations, pasta is always present. And if you live in Italy, it’s definitely a common occurrence because it’s part of their culture.

There are a lot of simple pasta dishes that you could cook at home or even your school dorm. As for the pasta itself, the steps are simple: all you need is pasta, salt, and most importantly, water.

Simple to do; but there are people who have not mastered the process just like a group of American exchange students in Italy who started a fire in their apartment. How did the fiasco start? They missed one of the ingredients needed: water. Definitely a big red flag in cooking pasta.

According to Italian newspaper La Nazione, the 20-year-old exchange students bought pasta from a supermarket and went home with the goal to cook it and enjoy a traditional Italian meal. Upon arriving home, the pasta was placed inside the pot and the stove was lit without even adding water.

Unfortunately, the supposed traditional dinner turned into a burnt nightmare — it started a fire in their apartment, which is located within the center of Florence. The exchange students then called the firefighters to extinguish the flames.

Fortunately, nobody got hurt from the incident aside from some furniture in the kitchen (and, of course, the reputation of the three students).

The three received hard comments from Italian commenters regarding the story.

“Return to the USA to eat hamburgers & chips from [McDonald’s],” wrote one.

“It derives from the fact that in the USA everything is bought already COOKED, American women in the kitchen are a disaster, they do not even know how to make a hard egg,” another wrote.

Another commented: “I bet they forgot the salt, too,”

Despite the snarky remarks, known Florentine chef Fabio Picchi of Cibrèo reached out a helping hand to the students, offering to teach a four-hour cooking class at his restaurant for free, according to Munchies.

“They will have lunch in our restaurant with two of my extraordinary cooks. They will teach them the simple basics that are very good if done well. I think this can be useful to them, but also to us. Understanding is what is beautiful and necessary,” chef Fabio Picchi explained.

Kaizen Marce

Kaizen Marce A simple, petite girl who always tries to do things out of her comfort zone. View my other posts